Intellectual Property Fundamentals 2020 Out of Stock
RESCHEDULED FROM 05/27/2020
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!
Intellectual Property Fundamentals, Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Co-sponsored by the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association, Stanford Law School, Stanford Program in Law, Science and Technology, the Copyright Society of the USA, and the ABA Section of Intellectual Property Law, and in cooperation with the Rocky Mountain Regional Office of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Program Moderator: Mollybeth (Molly) R. Kocialski, Director, Rocky Mountain Regional Office, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Denver, CO
Are you new to the practice of intellectual property law or do you simply want to polish your basic IP skills and knowledge? If so, the IP Institute Fundamentals is for you! Attend for knowledge and insights from experts on practice essentials of patent, trademark and copyright law, and licensing. And receive practical, foundational basics for your day-to-day practice of IP law to better represent your clients.
Receive the BEST VALUE for your registration dollars by attending both the IP Institute Fundamentals Academy and the Institute.
PLUS, following the IP Fundamentals, walk down the hall and join your colleagues at USPTO Day.
CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancellations by August 14, 2020 will receive a full refund of tuition paid. After August 14, 2020 no refunds will be issued, but substitutions are welcome. This program is not eligible for transfer to homestudy.
IP FUNDAMENTALS AGENDA (as of 01.30.20)
Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Registration and Refreshments
9:50 – 11:05am
Basics of Claims Drafting and Prosecution, and Patent Application Drafting
- Increased importance of performing good “prior art” searches
- Patentable subject matter (In Re Bilski and 2019 Patent Eligibility Guidance)
- Drafting the specification and claims
- Overview of the patent prosecution process
- Disclosure obligations and IDS management
- Examiner interview
- Accelerated prosecution
- Related applications and genealogy issues
Presented by Mollybeth (Molly) R. Kocialski, Director, Rocky Mountain Regional Office, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Denver, CO, and Matthew Avery, Baker Botts LLP, San Francisco, CA
11:05am – 12:20pm
Basics of Trademark Protection and Policing
- Trademark function and types of marks
- Trademark clearance obligations, methods and strategies
- Acquisition of trademark rights through use and registration
- Overview of the trademark registration process
- Maintaining registration rights
- Enforcing trademark rights
Presented by Mike Drumm, Drumm Law LLC, Denver, CO, and Dana P. Jozefczyk, Associate General Counsel, US Olympic & Paralympic Committee, Colorado Springs, CO
12:20pm – 1:10pm
Lunch (included in your registration fee)
1:10 – 2:40pm
Anatomy of Technology Licenses
- Defining the scope of the license – usage, territory, time and updates
- Royalties – different structures and audits
- Warranties in licensing – implied and express
- Protecting the exchange of confidential information – employee issues and trade secrets
- Remedies on breach – financial liability and specific performance
- Indemnity – scope of obligation, exclusions, mechanics, remedies/triggers
- Limitation of liability – forms liability and failure of essential purpose
Presented by Matt McKinney, Koenig, Oelsner, Taylor, Schoenfield & Gaddis PC, Denver, CO and Victoria L. Donovan, Kutak Rock LLP, Denver, CO
Networking and Refreshment Break
2:55 – 3:45pm
- Understand what copyright is and its important benefits
- Discuss defenses to copyright infringement
Presented by Leigh Augustine, Esq., EIP, Denver, CO and Dave Ratner, Esq., Creative Law Network, Denver, CO
Adjourn to USPTO Day!
Intellectual Property Fundamentals Moderator
Mollybeth (Molly) R. Kocialski, Director*
Rocky Mountain Regional Office, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Intellectual Property Fundamentals Faculty (as of 12.23.19)
Leigh Augustine, Esq.
Matthew Avery, Esq.
San Francisco, CA
Victoria Donovan, Esq.
Mike Drumm, Esq.
Drumm Law LLC
Dana P. Jozefczyk, Esq.
Associate General Counsel
US Olympic & Paralympic Committee
Colorado Springs, CO
Matt McKinney, Esq.
Koenig, Oelsner, Taylor, Schoenfield & Gaddis PC
Creative Law Network
* Also on faculty
- Standard Price $294.00 USD
- Member Price $244.00 USD
- General Credits 6.00
- Ethics Credits