Appellate Practice 101: The Basics of Litigating an Appeal - Webcast
*If you have active signs/symptoms of cold or flu, we kindly ask that you use our live webcast or home study options. Please contact our customer service team if you need help changing an existing registration.*
Appellate Practice 101:
The Basics of Litigating an Appeal
Co-sponsored by the Colorado Bar Association Litigation Section
- Knowledgeable, engaging, and highly experienced appellate practitioners providing you with the basics of litigating an appeal
- The spelling out of the whens, wheres, whys, and hows of litigating an appeal in a time efficient manner at a half-day program
- An invaluable opportunity to learn, brush up, or enhance your appellate know-how
Join us to check and enhance your appellate know-how and to learn from very knowledgeable, engaging, and highly experienced appellate practitioners. The whens, wheres, whys and hows of litigating an appeal will be spelled out for you in a time efficient manner. Best practices, pitfalls, persuasive techniques and strategic considerations to be included in the discussion.
Attend to be better prepared to appeal or to defend appeals of your clients’ cases!
Upcoming CBA-CLE Programs:
3rd Annual Colorado Litigators’ Summit, September 25, 2020, Grand Hyatt, 1750 Welton, Denver, CO 80202
Appellate Practice Update 2020, November 6, 2020, Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center, 2 E. 14th Avenue, Denver, CO 80203
Home Study Purchases: Please note that all homestudies will be available approximately 2 weeks after the date of the LIVE program.
8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:00 – 9:10 a.m.
Welcome, Introductions, and Program Overview
Presented by Kendra Beckwith, Esq., Partner, Messner Reeves, Denver, CO, and Kyle Brenton, Esq., Assistant United States Attorney, United States Attorney’s Office | District of Colorado (Session Presenters)
9:10 – 12:30 pm
(Includes a 15 minute break)
- Overview of the Appellate Process: Is It a Do-Over?
- Finality of Judgments: When Can You Appeal?
- How to Appeal: When and How Do You File an Appeal?
- Bonds and Stays: What Do You Do While You Wait?
- Preservation of Issues: Have You Missed Your Chance?
- Standards of Review and Issue Selection: What Should You Argue and Why?
- Record Preparation: How Do You Tell Your Story?
- Briefing: Why Are You Right?
- Oral Argument: How Fast (Or Slow) Can 15 Minutes Disappear?
- Rehearing, Certiorari, and Further Proceedings: Can You Get Another Shot?
- Proceedings on Remand: What Now?
Webcasts - live from your computerGet directions
|CBA Litigation Section Member||$229.00|
|New Lawyer Edge Partner||$144.50|
|CLEACCESSPASS--ELITE Pass Holder||$0.00|
- Current Colorado Appeals Court Statistics
- How to Write Winning Briefs and Deliver Effective Oral Arguments
- Appellate Ethics Tips and Traps
- Standards of Review Nuances
- The Ins and Outs of the Courts Where You File and Argue Your Appeals
- Perspectives of State and Federal Appeals Court Judges and Justices