Collections Law in Colorado
This unique program is designed for those who practice in the area of collections, wish to collect for a client, or wish to collect their own debt. You will be given a disk with several nuts and bolts forms that you can use in your own practice. Don't miss this valuable opportunity to hear practice pointers from several county court judges on important trial matters, including the tough job of representing bill collectors, simplification of procedures, settlement, and evidence. Finally, learn about pre-trial issues, as well as post-judgment remedies.
8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
9:00 – 9:50 a.m.
Overview of Collections Law, Including Forms
- Demand letter
- Summons, Complaint, Answer Form (County Court)
- Case Cover Sheet, Summons, Complaint (District Court)
- Stipulation Regarding Confession of Judgment (No Payments); Order
- Stipulation Regarding Confession of Judgment (Payments); Order
- Stipulation In Lieu of Judgment; Order
- Stipulation Regarding Stay of Execution; Order
- (Blank) Stipulation; Order
- Default Letter
- Motion for Entry of Judgment; Order
- Motion for Default Judgment (District Court); Order
- Subpoena Pursuant to C.R.C.P. 69 (District Court)
- Motion to Retain Jurisdiction; Order
- Motion for Contempt Citation; Contempt Citation; Order
- Wage Garnishment
- Bank Garnishment
Presented by Frank J. Ball, Esq., Law Offices of Frank J. Ball, Greenwood Village, Colorado
9:50 – 10:40 a.m.
The Tough Job of Representing a Bill Collector
Presented by the Magistrate Edward M. Burns, Jr., Arapahoe County Court, Littleton, Colorado
10:40 – 10:55 a.m.
10:55 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Simplification of Procedures in County Court
- Knowing the Rules of Various County Courts
- Cooperating with Staff
- Other Practice Pointers
Presented by the Honorable Thomas E. Vance, Jefferson County Court, Golden, Colorado
11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lunch - ON YOUR OWN
1:00 - 1:50 p.m.
How to Settle the Case and Make It Go Away
Presented by Honorable Herbert H. Galchinsky, Denver County Court, Denver, Colorado
1:50 - 2:40 p.m.
Practice Pointers on Evidentiary Issues at Trial in County Court
Presented by the Honorable Raymond N. Satter, Denver County Court, Denver, Colorado
2:40 - 2:55 p.m.
2:55 - 3:25 p.m.
- New Amendment to FDCPA, Effect on Demand Letter
- County Court Limited Discovery
- Winning⁄Surviving Summary Judgement in District Court
- Other Pre-Trial Issues
Presented by Irvin Borenstein, Esq., Law Offices of Irvin Borenstein, Aurora, Colorado
3:25 - 3:45 p.m.
Post-Judgment Remedies: Show Me the Money
Presented by Irvin Borenstein, Esq.